Sunday, 28 April 2013

Some verses....

Today has been one of those days where you want to pull the covers back over your head and pretend it never existed, to start again tomorrow. But I can tell you that the Lord has really used today, as He always does - He doesn't waste any opportunities to draw me closer to Him, even when that involves suffering!

I thought I'd share some verses with you which have either been shared with me by friends at various points today or I remembered when feeling downhearted. My prayer is that the Lord would use these verses to build you up in the hard times!
"I have said these things to you that in me  you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world." ~ John 16:33
In this verse, the Lord reminds us that in Him is found real, true peace. And I can tell you from experience that it is so true - we MUST have our contentment founded upon the Lord or else our circumstances dictate whether we are happy or sad. Sure, we will still be saddened when undergoing trials, but if our hope is founded on the Lord, we can have a deep seated peace that even the hardest of trials cannot move. Thank you so much Lord for giving me that peace today when I needed it so much!
"So we do not lose heart. Though our outer nature is wasting away, our inner nature is being renewed day by day. For this slight momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal." ~ 2 Corinthians 4:16-18
I remembered this verse today and I am so glad that the Lord prompted my remembrence of it!!! It is hard for us to regard any trials, no matter how small as a "slight momentary affliction" - this is made all the more harder when a trial we face is actually serious! But we need to bear in mind that the Lord is ALWAYS in control and ALWAYS working things out for His glory and our good. I so look forward to the day when I will finally be face to face with the Lord and I will finally be able to see how indeed, every event in my life, good and bad, was there for a reason. 

And what an amazing Psalm this is!!! My friends suggested that I read it (I can never thank the Lord enough for the friends He has given me) and it really helped me to get a better perspective on suffering.

Psalm 27: The Lord Is My Light and My Salvation (of David)

The Lord is my light and my salvation;
whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the stronghold of my life;
of whom shall I be afraid?
When evildoers assail me
to eat up my flesh,
my adversaries and foes,
it is they who stumble and fall.
Though an army encamp against me,
my heart shall not fear;
though war arise against me,
yet I will be confident.
One thing have I asked of the Lord,
that will I seek after:
that I may dwell in the house of the Lord
all the days of my life,
to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord
and to inquire in his temple.
For he will hide me in his shelter
in the day of trouble;
he will conceal me under the cover of his tent;
he will lift me high upon a rock.
And now my head shall be lifted up
above my enemies all around me,
and I will offer in his tent
sacrifices with shouts of joy;
I will sing and make melody to the Lord.
Hear, O Lord, when I cry aloud;
be gracious to me and answer me!
You have said, “Seek my face.”
My heart says to you,
“Your face, Lord, do I seek.”
Hide not your face from me.
Turn not your servant away in anger,
O you who have been my help.
Cast me not off; forsake me not,
O God of my salvation!
10 For my father and my mother have forsaken me,
but the Lord will take me in.
11 Teach me your way, O Lord,
and lead me on a level path
because of my enemies.
12 Give me not up to the will of my adversaries;
for false witnesses have risen against me,
and they breathe out violence.
13 I believe that I shall look upon the goodness of the Lord
in the land of the living!
14 Wait for the Lord;
be strong, and let your heart take courage;
wait for the Lord." ~ Psalm 27
A lot of the trials I face will not be nearly so hard as those David faced, and so the fact that he was able to pen those words regardless made it all the more amazing! I particularly found verse 5 helpful: surely the Lord is always there for us to take refuge in Him.

So I hope that helped you all! Please pray for me, that I would continue to serve Him and be filled with joy regardless of my circumstances!

God bless!


No comments:

Post a Comment