Thursday, 31 October 2013

Great is Thy Faithfulness

Tonight it is the night before one of my exams and yet I am on here writing a post. Part of me thinks I must be crazy, and yet part of me knows I need to write tonight. For it's been "one of those days" where trials seem to crop up at the worst of times. And so my mind has been so unfocussed from my exams and yet I know that the Lord will help me face tomorrow as He does every day. 

Basically, I felt I need to write this post to remind myself that God is faithful, even on the hard days! I feel so hypocritical saying that when I - sinner that I am! - doubt this truth time and time again, despite Him proving that He is on a daily basis. Have you heard the hymn Great is Thy Faithfulness? Well, I was reminded of it today, and the words are so true! Here it is:

Great is Thy Faithfulness


 “Great is Thy faithfulness,” O God my Father,
There is no shadow of turning with Thee;
Thou changest not, Thy compassions, they fail not
As Thou hast been Thou forever wilt be.

“Great is Thy faithfulness!” 
“Great is Thy faithfulness!“
 Morning by morning new mercies I see;
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided—
 “Great is Thy faithfulness,” Lord, unto me!

Summer and winter, and springtime and harvest,
Sun, moon and stars in their courses above,
Join with all nature in manifold witness
To Thy great faithfulness, mercy and love.

Chorus

Pardon for sin and a peace that endureth,
Thine own dear presence to cheer and to guide;
Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow,
Blessings all mine, with ten thousand beside!

What wonderful words, and a reminder I really needed to hear today! The Lord really has provided all I need and I need to look to Him with an attitude of thankfulness rather than a complaining one. 

It's amazing also how the Lord can at times prepare us for a tricky day ahead.This morning, I read these wonderful words from Martyn Lloyd-Jones' book Spiritual Depression (a book I highly recommend you read if you haven't already!):

"We are to rejoice because it is proof of our faith. The moment we become Christians the devil is particularly concerned to get us down, and he ahs no more successful way of doing that than to make us miserable, or to make us suffer from what Charles Lamb has described as 'the mumps and measles of the soul'. Such Christians are like marasmic children, not growing, not manifesting health and vigour; and any Christian in that condition is more or less a denial of his own faith, and Satan is pleased. For that reason he is particularly concerned to produced this condition in us and there is no end to the ways in which it may affect us, and in which it may show itself in us...
The good news, of course, is it doesn't end there - for the Lord is in control even over Satan and so Satan's power is limited. And even if we do reach a low point like that, the Lord is with us always. Watch this space for more quotes from this book. :) 

Anyway, I'll leave it there and get back to my revision now that I'm feeling re-engergised spiritually! Thank you heavenly Father!

God bless!


No comments:

Post a Comment