Sunday, 11 May 2014

Sunshine Behind the Storm #4: Through the Storms

First of all, I want to wish all mothers out there (but especially my one!) a very happy Mothers day! Thanks for all that you do for us, I'm sure I won't be the only one to say that our mother is the one who, through her self-sacrificial loving life towards us, shows us what it means to love with a true Christlike love. However, I will be praying tonight especially for anyone out there who is without a mother at the moment. Truly, those of us with a mother in our lives are so blessed! 

Now... for the rest of this post! :) 

I am so blessed to be able to present to you the fourth installment in the blog series, Sunshine Behind the Storm aimed at encouraging Christians who are going through trials. These poems are by an author and blogger with the pen-name Jo Wilmer. She blogs at 'M' Words and the Christian Woman (M referring to many trials that women go through such as mistakes, maturity, men, marriage, motherhood, money, menopause, and making a difference) and Simply Sharing and Serving. She also runs her own buisness at Sanibel Soaps, and has even writen an e-book called We Travel Together. As you can tell, she is someone kept very busy serving the Lord in these and other ways! :) I hope you are as challenged and blessed by her poems as I was. :)

http://rejoiceinthelordalwaysrejoice.blogspot.co.nz/search/label/Sunshine%20Behind%20the%20Storm
 



Through The Storms

I did not know His love before, the way I know it now.
I could not see my need for Him, my pride would not allow.
I had it all, without a care, the "Self-sufficient" lie.
My path was smooth, my sea was still, not a cloud was in my sky.
I thought I knew His love for me, I thought I'd seen His grace,
I thought I did not need to grow, I thought I'd found my place.

But then the way grew rough and dark, the storm clouds quickly rolled;
the waves began to rock my ship, my anchor would not hold.
The ship that I had built myself was made of foolish pride;
it fell apart and left me bare, with nowhere else to hide.
I had no strength or faith to face the trials that lay ahead,
and so I simply prayed to Him and bowed my weary head.

His loving arms enveloped me, and then He helped me stand.
He said, "You still must face this storm, but I will hold your hand."
So through the dark and lonely night He guided me through pain;
I could not see the light of day or when the storm might wane.

Yet through the aches and endless tears, my faith began to grow...
I could not see it at the time, but my light began to glow.
I saw God's love in brand new light, His grace and mercy, too;
for only when all self was gone could Jesus' love shine through.

It was not easy in the storm, I sometimes wondered, "Why?"
At times I thought, "I can't go on." I'd hurt, and doubt, and cry.
But Jesus never left my side, He guided me each day.
Through pain and strife, through fire and flood, He helped me all the way.

And now I see as never before how great His love can be.
How in my weakness He is strong, how Jesus cares for me!
  He worked it all out for my good, although the way was rough...
He only sent what I could bear, and then He cried, "Enough!"

He raised His hand and said, "Be still!"  He made the storm clouds cease;
He opened up the gates of joy and flooded me with peace.
I saw His face now clearer still, I felt His presence strong,
I found anew His faithfulness, He never did me wrong.

Now I know more storms will come, but only for my good,
For pain and tears have helped me grow as naught else ever could.
I still have so much more to learn as Jesus works in me;
If in the storm I'll love Him more, that's where I want to be! 

They are such wonderful but challenging poems, aren't they? :) Thanks so much, Jo, for your lovely and encouraging email and allowing me to post these beautiful yet challenging poems here. I'll be praying for your ministry through these blogs and the e-book too! :)

God bless!
 
 

4 comments:

  1. Dearest Violet,
    I should have written you much, much sooner than this, but I just wanted to tell you what a blessing it was to receive your comment a few weeks ago when I got really raw and honest in my blogpost “Filled to be Emptied”. It was such an encouragement to know I am not alone in these types of struggles—periods of dryness spiritually, feeling as though Jesus is either out of sight or totally condemning you, struggling to spend even a little time with Him when it used to be what you lived for, and the constant drag of discouragement…
    Thank you for your hug! I could have hugged you RIGHT BACK, sister!!! (In fact, consider yourself hugged J) I so appreciated your comment, your sharing your experience and trials with me. Thank you for being so sweet and honest <3 Praise the Lord that He used the post to encourage you! I’m so glad it did :D
    ((hugs you again)) I hope you have a wonderful day today, and that things get better! I checked out your small personal blog, and thought that it was a great idea to have a blog solely for encouraging those going through hard times! I know from my own experience with discouragement that when God does bless you with those rays of sunshine, you want to share those with others (via blog or whatever is your special outlet).
    Thank you so much for your prayers! That was so thoughtful of you! I appreciate them and I have prayed for you today!
    Katie, His Princess Warrior

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katie (His Princess Warrior)! :)

      Thanks for your lovely comment - it really made my day! :) I'm so glad that my comment was able to encourage you too - it is lovely to recieve encouragement, especially when we may be feeling low or discouraged. :) You are certianly not alone, and that's something I've been having to learn, that no matter how alone I may feel in whatever trials or struggles the Lord brings my way, there is always someone out there struggling as well, and the Lord is always with me. He NEVER abandons me even though I might feel that way sometimes! :P

      Aw, thanks for your hugs and here's one right back! :) I have had a wonderful day so far, thank you! :) I hope you are too! Thank you so much for your prayers, it means so much to me to know that a sister in Christ whom I haven't even met is praying! :) I'll continue to pray for you too! <3 :)

      It is so true that you want to share what the Lord is teaching you through the trials with others, those "rays of sunshine"! :) I've been finding blogging a really good outlet for that. :) If you ever want to do a guest blog post here, you'd be more than welcome! :)

      God bless you! :)
      From your sister in Christ,
      Violet <3

      Delete
  2. Such beautifully touching words. Thank you so much for sharing the words that I soooo needed to hear.

    Blessings,
    Celi
    www.time2refuel.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Celi!

      I'm so glad the Lord used the words in these poems to touch you and to challenge/encourage you! Jo Wilmer really does have a gift from the Lord as that is exactly how I reacted when I first read these poems - there is so much truth here, it is in the storms that we learn to love the Lord more. :) It is lovely to be able to look at your blog too, by the way, and see how the Lord has been helping you through the challenges of motherhood (that's a huge lot of challenges I haven't faced at all yet!) - I'll be praying for you as you reach out to others there, and you may have just gained a follower. ;)

      God bless you!
      Your sister in Christ,
      Violet <3

      Delete